Let me start off by saying that I am SO excited to be writing this post! I’ve been staying quiet on social around this because I wanted to test out all the products for a few weeks before sharing my thoughts. I have been interested in trying Drunk Elephant skincare for a while now. Not only because of the reviews I’ve read praising the efficacy of the products, but because it falls within the clean beauty skincare category. The brand’s products are created without what they call the “Suspicious 6”: essential oils, drying alcohols, silicones, chemical screens, fragrances/dyes and sodium lauryl sulfate. The products also are formulated without harmful ingredients such as sulfates, parabens, phthalates, formaldehydes and mineral oil deserving the clean beauty stamp. While not all my beauty products are considered “clean,” I think it’s good to incorporate these types of products where possible! I don’t think I’ll ever go 100% clean beauty (I have my favorites!) but i’d love to make the switch when it comes to skincare.
Pregnancy & Clean Beauty
When I found out I was pregnant, I took a closer look at the ingredients in my skincare routine. Those are the products that are really being absorbed directly into your skin. Aside from those common nasties (parabens, sulfates, etc.) there are certain commonly used skincare ingredients that expectant mothers should stay away from like retinoids, salicylic acid, and BHAs. With this in mind, I wanted to switch up some products like my Kiehls facewash (that contains salicylic acid) and also find some new clean beauty to incorporate into my regular routine. Now, if you’re a preggo mama, don’t freak out from reading this. Talk to your OB at your next visit and take a look at the ingredients in your products next time you’re in the shower! Don’t stress. My OB told me the salicylic acid in my face wash would not impact my baby, but I decided on my own to make the change.
Now, into the products! Drunk Elephant was amazing enough to send me many products from their line to try. I am absolutely loving all of them and I feel good about using them knowing the ingredients. However, I wanted to highlight my favorites from what I’ve tried and would highly recommend them all!
- Beste Jelly Cleanser: Honestly, I wasn’t expecting much from this cleanser in the beginning because I’ve been disappointed by clean beauty cleansers in the past. But I was pleasantly surprised! I love this cleanser so much and feel like it’s both hydrating and cleaning my skin. I have been using it with my Clarisonic and really love the performance. Definitely will continue using this product.
- C-Firma Day Serum & B-Hydra Serum: I’ve been wanting to find a great vitamin C serum for a while now because of all the touted benefits. My search is now over because I love DE’s! Many other vitamin C serums cost a pretty penny, and while DE’s isn’t cheap, it’s moderately priced and will last you a while. It’s a thinner serum that’s more on the dry side, so I’ve been combining it with their amazing B-Hydra serum which is like a drink of water for your face. The hydra serum is in my top 3 favorites from them for sure.
- Protini Polypeptide Cream: Another ultra hydrating product from the line that I felt my skin just drink up. This moisturizer has a beautiful texture for either day or nighttime wear and hydrated my skin nicely. It feels more like a gel moisturizer but doesn’t have the tacky or sticky feeling some gels yield.
- Lala Retro Cream: I love this cream, but it’s definitely a nighttime cream for me. It has a beautiful, thick consistency that’s great for overnight hydration. Just a bit too thick for my skin when it comes to daytime wear. But I’ve definitely found my favorite night moisturizer in this product.
- Virgin Marula Face Oil: Last but certainly not least is my favorite product of the bunch. This texture of this oil is so beautiful and luxurious that it can really be used at all times. It’s not at all thick and a little goes a long way. I especially love mixing this with my tinted moisturizer for a beautiful dewy glow. I will be using this a lot during the winter since it’s super moisturizing!
(A great way to test out a variety of products from the brand without committing to a full size is to grab one of their kits! They have so many great ones that include a bunch of the above products.)
Quick note to my pregnant mamas. If you’re browsing the DE products and come across their cult facial mask, hold off on using until after baby arrives. The mask contains higher levels of salicylic acid which should be avoided during pregnancy. Test it out after baby comes if you aren’t breastfeeding!
I hope this post gives you some good info on clean beauty and this amazing skincare brand. Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below, or DM me on Instagram!
Thank you to Drunk Elephant for sending this preggo mama products to try!
GIVEAWAY ALERT! Head to my Instagram to enter a giveaway for the Beste Jelly Cleanser and a mini Virgin Marula Face Oil! Hurry becuase the giveaway ends on Sunday 11/11/18!
If you’re looking for more skincare products, check out my skincare essentials post for what else I use!